RETENTION YOUR FUTURE FOLLOWING ORTHODONTICS
Congratulations ! Finally the braces are gone. No more appointments ! No more rubber bands ! Your treatment is finished at last, Right? Well, not quite, What we call "active treatment" is over. But there is still one important step called RETENTION. This final stage of your treatment is essential to ensure a lifetime of beautiful smiles and healthy teeth. You have done a great job so far. It hasn't always been easy, but you have done it anyway. Now do not risk losing what we have achieved due to your effort and co-operation and our skill and experience.
NEED FOR RETAINERS : Each and every patient needs removable appliances to hold the teeth in their new position after braces are removed. If retainers are not worn/worn irregularly then teeth are likely to shift to their original position specially in the first three to six months period immediately after braces are removed. It is obvious that these retainers work only when they are in the mouth.
• Wear the retainers as explained.
PLEASE DO NOT MODIFY DOCTORS INSTRUCTIONS.
• Initially retainers may induce more spit than usual; this is a temporary phase and will pass in a matter of days.
• As the upper retainer covers your palate, speech thickens for a few days only.
• Clean the retainer twice with the help of hand brush and toothpaste OR a separate toothbrush and a mild soap will do.
DO NOT USE HOT WATER TO CLEAN THEM.
• When you are instructed to wear them only part-time, store them safely in the retainer case in a moist environment.
• If they are worn irregularly they become tight, uncomfortable and ill-fitting.
DO NOT ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN.
• Avoid flipping or playing with the appliance with your tongue.
• Pets find retainers very attractive. Please keep them out of their reach.
• Purses and pockets are not meant to store retainers. In case of breakage, contact us for an early appointment.
REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR RETAINERS AT EVERY VISIT.
• Wear the retainers at all times except eating and brushing..
• Brush it and your teeth after each meal. Remember that retainers are not for ever.